You might be an artist who would like to introduce yourself and your work here or maybe you’re a business with a mission to describe.
The Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program is part of the Utah Department of Health. We are working to improve the health and quality of life of all Utahns by improving healthcare systems, worksites, schools, and communities to be more supportive of heart health.
By working with various partners in each setting where we live, work, and play, we hope to develop heart-healthy environments throughout Utah where all people have access to healthy foods, opportunities for safe physical activity, information about how to prevent heart disease and stroke, and high quality health care when it’s needed.
We want you to know:
- Heart disease and stroke are serious. They are the number 1 and 3 causes of death in the state and the nation and they cause high levels of disability in people who survive them.
- Learning the signs and symptoms of heart attack and stroke is important. Call 9-1-1 immediately if you or a loved one are having a heart attack or stroke. Learn more about heart disease and stroke.
- High blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight, smoking, diabetes, and a family history of heart disease or stroke can all increase your chances of developing heart disease or stroke. Find out more about heart disease and stroke risk factors and how to reduce your risk .
- If you have risk factors for heart disease and stroke, you can reduce your risk by controlling your blood pressure, lowering your cholesterol levels, losing weight, quitting smoking, controlling your diabetes, eating more healthfully, and becoming more active.
- Living a heart healthy life by staying active and eating well can help you prevent many of the risk factors associated with heart disease and stroke.
The staff of Utah’s Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program includes health educators, registered nurses, epidemiologists/evaluators, and social marketing professionals. We hope the information on our Web site will help you start living a heart-healthy life today.